Friday 29 July 2016

First Court Appearance




I've only ever been to court once before, it was on a school trip during Sixth Form when I was studying Law at A Level. I was allowed to sit in the public area and watch a live case. God knows what happened, it was too long ago.

This week I had the opportunity to go to court to take notes for a client as a colleague was on holiday. All sorts of questions were running through my mind. What do I say when I get there? Where do I need to go? What does the client even look like? (luckily I am writing part of this post in advance of the court hearing, so I have just checked the client's ID) Will people acknowledge me or is my job to be ignored? Who knows!

Thankfully the staff at the court were very helpful and I was told where to go, phew! panic over.

Court is an interesting experience, there is a lot of waiting around before you go in, but in this time I was able to witness negotiations continue between the barristers acting for both parties. I didn't realise that the barristers would be trying to reach an agreement right up until the point of entering the court, but I guess that this is a good idea. The more the parties agree, the better.

What is my note taking technique? Just write everything. I don't know shorthand or any decent tip behind note taking so I just scribble down everything. I think I covered it all.

Family law is beginning to become very interesting and going to court is a nice break from the office, so I'm happy in that sense. I've already been in the family department for a month, I can't believe how quick the time has gone! It actually scares me how quick this training contract is going, but let's embrace the madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment