Monday 11 July 2016

Welcome to Family Law!


Last week I entered into the second seat of my training contract which is Family Law. I have just spent 7 months in the Corporate and Commercial department so I was apprehensive about working in an area that is completely different.

The thought of dealing with people's feelings (feelings? What are those!) and trying to be sensitive can prove to be somewhat difficult for me but I need to suck it up and get on with it.

In my first week I was asked to prepare trial bundles, instructions to Counsel, divorce petitions, all sorts. Needless to say this is extremely different to Corporate and Commercial law and I have already been told to write a bit more kindly! But I'm enjoying having the opportunity to tackle something unfamiliar.

The partial downside to being a Trainee Solicitor is that as soon as you're comfortable in a department and feel like you're doing ok, you automatically have to move on to your next seat. I'm not too fond of going back to knowing very little about the procedures etc. But I am sure that as soon as I get into the swing of things again it should be ok.

So here's to a good six months in Family Law. I shall let you know if this area becomes of interest to me in good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment