Sunday 22 November 2015

Last Week in Commercial Property



We're now in the final week of November (give or take) which means that I'm in my final week  of working in the Commercial Property department at my firm.  I've worked in property, both residential and commercial since graduating in June 2013. It was never something that I had a specific interest in as I didn't particularly enjoy studying land law at University, but when I graduated there were a lot of property jobs available, which is how I found myself working in this area.

By working with a mixture of residential and commercial transactions, it's easy for me to say that Commercial Property appeals to me more than residential.  I find that residential transactions, most of the time, are quite similar and there is not enough variety in it. I've found that the difference with commercial transactions, is that the procedure is tailored specifically to the business buying/selling or taking a lease on the property.  Moreover, legal research is required on certain aspects that would not be required for residential property which allows me to gain further knowledge in the areas which are more difficult to work on.

Although property is not my main choice of practice, I've still enjoyed working in this area and I've really enjoyed working with the Commercial Property team at my firm.

The first seat of my training contract is going to be in the Corporate and Commercial department. This is something that I am looking forward to experiencing.  I've enjoyed working with businesses in the property department, but I feel that I would prefer working with the actual businesses and not just for their property transactions.

I'm really excited to get going, and what's even more exciting is that right before my training contract starts I will be travelling to Amsterdam for a long weekend.  It's very exciting times for me at the moment, I shall post again once I am back from Amsterdam. Bon Voyage!

1 comment:

  1. You left your options open by going into the property market, not what you enjoyed, but that gave you the freedom of choice. Having studied law and now finding it useful for your development in other fields, you now have a great job with people you enjoy working with and a happy and bright future with your commercial property firm.

    Nicholas Taylor @ Vancouver Business Brokers

    ReplyDelete