Sunday 15 November 2015

"Do you watch Suits?"



As a young female I spent the best parts of 2014 and 2015 on the dating scene.  Many first dates were enjoyable (or not so), but I noticed that each male had one thing in common.

As soon as I told my dates that I was a Paralegal I always received the same response, "Oh so, do you watch Suits?". On the odd occasion what would follow was "There's this really fit Paralegal on there called Rachel, do you do what she does?"

During this period I had no free time due to working and studying at the same time so I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.  I didn't have enough time to think let alone watch a whole box set about American law firms.

Now that I've finished the LPC, I've decided to take up watching Suits to see what all the fuss is about, and to see whether the programme gives the British public a false representation of what lawyers do.

I can now see what everyone was talking about, it is a really, really addictive show.  I can somewhat empathise with 'Mike Ross', the Associate who works for 'Harvey Specter'.  Albeit he has no legal education, but I sometimes chuckle and relate to the way he struggles to find what he needs to do in order to meet a deadline.

It can be testing for graduates new to a law firm, finding out how they run on a daily basis and also being assigned work from, sometimes, various fee earners which could all be urgent at the same time. I was happy to see that this was being reflected in the show for different characters, and that it wasn't telling the audience that we instantly know exactly what we're doing all of the time.

It's a show that I'm going to continue to watch, and I'm sure there will be a lot more 'chuckling' throughout the seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment