Wednesday 2 December 2015

Amsterdam


This is more of a personal post, but I thought why not.  I've just come back from a weekend in Amsterdam, I haven't been abroad since I was 15 (sad, I know!) so I was extremely excited about this trip.  It was a long weekend from Friday to Monday and I definitely recommend this city to anyone who is considering a visit.


I stayed at the Albus Hotel in Amsterdam City Centre (see above) which is walking distance to all tourist attractions. It was great value for money and I even received a free upgrade on my room when I checked in. So as a heads up, if they ask you if you'd like to upgrade for a certain amount a night say no first because they may upgrade you anyway!  There was also a wide selection for breakfast which was lovely, I definitely stuffed myself to set me up for every day.

There was so much to do in the city and some amazing places to eat. I would recommend a restaurant called 'Hummbar' which serves lobster and burger dishes.  They even cater to gluten free allergies so that was a great bonus for me.  It was interesting to experience the culture there, I took a stroll through the red light district and it was like looking into a completely different world.  I was amazed at how normal this part of the city was considered to those that live there.  


One of my highlights was taking a canal cruise through the city, this lasted approximately an hour and it took you to the main sites.  It was so much better being able to sit and see everything rather than walk everywhere! 


Another personal highlight was the Heineken Experience, not something that I thought I would enjoy as I don't drink beer.  Nevertheless, the experience was fun and appealed to those of all ages and genders.

I'm quite sad that I wasn't able to stay longer, but it was a good break that I needed, and it was perfectly timed. The day I came back to work was the day I became a Trainee Solicitor!

No comments:

Post a Comment