Friday 5 May 2017

Interviews



This week finished with something different. Friday morning I was asked to interview some year 12 students at a local boarding school. The session was created to help the students gain the experience of being interviewed by someone that they are not familiar with. This event was organised by both the school and the Suffolk Chamber of Commerce and professionals from local businesses were invited to take part as the interviewers.

I was assigned five students and I was given their CV to read in advance, as well as the job description. I had 30 minutes for each student to interview them as if they were applying for a real job.

It was quite odd being the interviewer. The last time I had an interview it was for my training contract, and we all know how tough they are so I really felt for the students. The students looked a bit nervous too, so I had to make them feel a bit more relaxed.

I had to ask them the usual questions i.e. "what are your strengths and weaknesses?", "why this company?" and "describe a time in your life when you were put in a difficult situation".

If the interview finished early, I gave the students tips and advice on performing well in interviews. I also advised them on improving their CVs and I answered questions that they had on anything to do with applications, interviews and University.

I hope that I was of some help to the students and that they are able to take my advice and use it in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment