Friday 28 April 2017

Court and Courses




In my last post I mentioned that I would write about a trial and a course that I was going to attend, so as promised, here we are!

On Tuesday I went to Court to watch the first day of a trial. This meant that I had the opportunity to observe a whole day in Court where witnesses, including individual and expert witnesses, were cross examined.

I found the day really interesting and it was easy to see how individuals can feel intimidated when having a barrister question them for quite a long period of time. Quite different to how we act it out in our advocacy classes on the PSC!

Few cases come to trial now as everyone is focused on settling outside of Court, so I was happy that this opportunity came up during my seat.

On Wednesday, I travelled to London to attend one of my PSC classes. This class was called "is it enforceable?" And was all about learning how documents should be executed correctly, including agreements and deeds.

I actually found this course rather beneficial. As part of the "electronic" generation of lawyers, we always have some form of precedent to refer to when we are drafting documents, so sometimes we don't actually understand why we are drafting something in a certain way. Rather, we just draft a document knowing that it is the correct way of doing so. So it helped my background knowledge, plus I had a really nice class so that was helpful!

We're at the end of yet another week, and in receipt of yet another Bank Holiday, yippee! I hope that you all enjoy your weekend, hopefully the cold weather will pick up, but it probably won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment