Sunday 27 December 2015

Festivities



I came across this survey online a few weeks ago which suggests that those in the legal field are second from top at being the most drunk and disorderly at a Christmas party.  This would come as a shock to most people, but could this be true? What happened to the typical 'boring' and 'stuffy' stereotyped lawyers that we appear to be to the general public? Well I had the opportunity to find out...

My firm held its annual Christmas party recently and this was my first Christmas party with the firm, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I wore heels that were way too high (being 5'1, sometimes these things have to be done) and a sparkly dress, to get me into the festive spirit. The drinks were flowing, the dancing was...questionable at some points but the food was also lovely.

It's always interesting to see your colleagues when under the influence.  Outside of the office, most people are more relaxed, the stress from the working day has disappeared and the talk is a lot less formal. You're able to get to know each other personally rather than professionally. However, when there's alcohol involved, anything can happen.

I'm not sure how much I had to drink, the wine was free and I kept getting 'topped up', so in terms of glasses, I'm not able to count.  Needless to say there was a lot.

From my judgement of the work Christmas party, I can't say that I saw anyone falling over, but in all honesty, I don't remember too much of the night myself!  However, in the past at previous firms, I know that some nights do tend to get very, very messy.

I would say that this night was rather tame compared previous nights, maybe that has something to do with the fact that the senior partners were present. But would you agree that lawyers are the worst drinkers? I wouldn't say that the Christmas party would be a reflection of this. But in general, I'd say yes, it's always the one's that you least expect. How else does everyone expect us to relax?

No comments:

Post a Comment