Sunday 6 December 2015

First Seat



So the time finally came, 1 December 2015 I was officially made a Trainee Solicitor! I was moved to the Corporate and Commercial department for my first seat and I had no idea what to expect. I was absolutely drained from my weekend away and I was nervous about working with a new team.  I was quite surprised at how nervous I actually felt considering I already knew the team, I had just never worked with them before.

I was going back to square one, knowing absolutely nothing.  For the past two and a half years I've worked in property and that's all I've really known, minus the LPC. However by studying the LPC part-time, the last time I looked at my business notes was in February/March 2014...a long, LONG time ago.

The first day was a blur, it consisted of HR, induction and team meetings. Not only that, I'd moved myself into a new office and needed to settle in. It's a lot quieter than my old office as there are only two people, including me!

A lot of information was thrown at me, but I began to settle by the end of the week. What I've liked about the Corporate and Commercial department so far is that every piece of work I've been given is for a different area of Co/Co. No more leases or legal charges!!

Initially I had raised concerns with my supervisor that I may not know much, but he was very understanding and reassured me that they don't expect me to know too much which made me feel a lot better.

I was introduced to the Professional Skills Course (PSC) and my training diary at the start of the week.  Little me thought I'd be doing almost the same things as a Paralegal!  I'm required to complete a weekly diary to record my development and discuss with my supervisor.  Needless to say that was an instant reminder put into my calendar! I've also booked my core modules for the PSC in March and June. I've been told it's not something to be worried about, so I'm not feeling particularly concerned

Towards the end of the week I was introduced to my mentor. I'd never met my mentor before as she works in a part of the office that I've never needed to access so I had no idea what to expect. She was absolutely lovely, someone that I believe I could confide in and have a laugh with.

Overall my first week was enjoyable.  I think that Corporate and Commercial Law is something that I'm going to enjoy, but I do have about six months left, so only time will tell!!



No comments:

Post a Comment