Monday 23 January 2017

Careers Fairs, Court, Counsel and Free Advice



Over the past few weeks my work has been rather varied, but that's all part of being a Trainee!

Within the past few weeks I had to attend another careers fair which was held at a local high school (it's like they never end!). There were students as young as year 8s there so my role was generally to explain what a lawyer was to see if they would be interested in this sort of career. Sometimes I do wonder whether children of this age are receiving too much pressure and are forced into choosing a career too soon. I'm pretty sure that when I was in year 8 I wasn't even thinking of my GCSE's let alone career paths and how to get there.

I also attended my first court hearing on a personal injury case. Admittedly it was only to discuss the directions and costs, so the content wasn't too juicy. However it was good to experience this part of the procedure for a personal injury claim. Hopefully I can attend more court hearings in the near future.

Finally, it was my time to volunteer at the local law advice centre again. This is where free 30 minute sessions are given to those in the local area who perhaps may not have access to legal services. I always enjoy these sessions as you have to think on your feet and you're genuinely helping people who need it. I feel like during these sessions I was able to advise the clients on their next steps and I could tell them where to go if they ever find that they are stuck in the same situation.

It is almost the end of January which shows that this month/year is already speeding through. Let's hope for another month of variety, hard work and good fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment