Saturday 1 October 2016

Mid-Seat Appraisal



This week I had my mid-seat appraisal for my second seat. For those that don't know I'm currently sitting in the family department and have just completed three months.

I was quite nervous about this appraisal because if I'm honest, I don't feel like I've taken to this area too well. I feel that a lot of the time I don't produce top quality work when I could do a lot better.

I have also recently found myself stuck in the "trainee rut". I didn't really know what I was doing and I found my mind playing tricks on me, worrying about minor things and the terror of wondering where I will actually end up qualifying came over me. I needed to be pointed in the right direction, constructively and productively.

My appraisal actually went a lot better than I thought and it was extremely helpful. I raised minor concerns that I had about my development and I was put at ease, we spoke about what we need to do for me to progress in the second half of my seat. I think that having a mid-seat appraisal is something that all trainees should have as it gives you an idea of how well you are doing in the seat and you don't have to find out until the end when you are about to move on.

The appraisal certainly gave me the "kick" that I needed and I was thankful for the constructive advice. I feel that I can progress through to the end of my seat positively. It is now only two months until my second year, that has absolutely flown by!

No comments:

Post a Comment