Tuesday 25 October 2016

Let's Talk Law



So my first ever post on this blog was about the Suffolk Skills Show, a careers event for school pupils ranging from year 7 to Sixth Form students.  This week I attended the show again which means that this blog has been going for a WHOLE YEAR!

The blog has received really good feedback within that time and I'm pleased that I have been able to help others by giving an insight to the working life of a Trainee Solicitor. So far the blog has had over 6,000 views!

The Suffolk Skills Show was rather hectic with children running around everywhere. It was quite hard for us to sell a career in law when there were other companies to do with electronics and gaming. How on earth can we compete with that?

I was impressed as there were a few school pupils who told me they were set on becoming lawyers. But when I say a few I literally mean about three children. However, not all hope is lost and there is still an interest in law for some.

Throughout the day, I explained the different routes to becoming a lawyer which included the route of an apprenticeship, which is quite new to the legal industry. I hope that I was able to sell a career in law and make it sound appealing, but as soon as I mentioned that there is a lot of reading involved I noticed the eyes slowly becoming glazed.

I did my best, but the words "hard work", "dedication" and "determination" did seem like a big ask for most.

No comments:

Post a Comment