Thursday 17 March 2016

Back to School



If any of you reading this post commute to London every day from a long distance, I salute you!

Over the past week I've been attending a course called the Professional Skills Course. For those that don't know this is a course that all Trainee Solicitors must attend and pass before qualification.

The course consists of both core and elective modules.  The core modules include Advocacy and Communication Skills, Client Care and Professional Standards and Finance and Business Skills.

The core modules that I took during the past week were Advocacy and Communication Skills and Finance and Business Skills.

My first three days were the Advocacy and Communication classes, my worst nightmare! How I hate to stand up and speak in front of people.  To my surprise however, the course was actually rather enjoyable and fun. Over the three day period it was our task to practice the skills of interim applications, cross examinations and examinations in chief.  On the last day, the class had to run a full trial where we were also able to play witnesses.  

I really enjoyed this module, it was very interactive and the teacher was enthusiastic.  It was definitely my favourite of the two topics.

The Finance and Business Skills classes were on Thursday, Friday and the next Monday.  This is because on the Monday I had to sit an exam, albeit only an hour and a half, but all exams make me nervous.

On the Thursday and Friday you are given a study manual and various practice questions with the answers included. Once you have finished these classes it is the intention to revise over the weekend for the exam on Monday.

This class focused on topics such as regulated activities, investments and accounts. Unfortunately, as I suspected, I found this topic less enjoyable than advocacy. The days definitely seemed a lot longer! But I am glad that I have got it out of the way now. 

It was great to mix with other Trainee Solicitors, particularly as we all work for a wide selection of law firms, it was interesting to share our experiences with one another

It was also nice to get out of the office and travel somewhere. However I don't think I could ever commute to London. The days are so long and draining, I honestly don't understand how people do it, they deserve a medal. For now, I'll stick to my regional firm!


No comments:

Post a Comment